7/10/2009

Being a tourist in our own town

Last week on a rare day off work, Big Monkey and I got some alone time while Little Monkey stayed with the nanny. We decided to see NOLA as a tourist. We started off with lunch at one of our favorite Mid-City restaurants, Liuzza's. When I was little, my Dad lived in Baton Rouge. Every once in a while we would make the 70 mile trip into New Orleans just to go to dinner at Liuzza's. I remember thinking, as a girl, how special a place it was to drive that far just to go eat! Their fried green tomatoes with shrimp remoulade are my absolute favorite. (chicken salad stuffed creole tomato, red beans and rice, and a Barq's root beer in a frozen mug)
After lunch, we headed to the New Orleans Museum of Art in City Park. For some crazy reason, we haven't ever been there. It is even free for Louisiana Residents and only $8 for others. The building itself is beautiful. But, of course, the best part was the air-conditioning! There is no better feeling than stepping out of 99 degree weather into a 68 degree building!
After the museum, we headed out to Lakeview to see the slab where my Grandparent's house had been before Katrina, but also to have New Orleans snowballs at the neighborhood snowball stand. I veered away from my ole favorite flavor, Nector, and, to my disappointment, went with Yellow Cake Batter. It was not nearly as good, but did the job of cooling us down and giving us our afternoon sugar rush.We had a great time and took some fun pics for your enjoyment.....

5 comments:

alanaransley said...

Is New Orleans Snowballs better than Sal's on Metairie Road? When we lived in Metairie in 94-95, that was one of our favorite places to go.
Here in Houston, they sell something called shaved ice, which is not worth having. I have to get my snowball fix when we go home to Lafayette.

Sara said...

Actually, this picture is at Nick's on Harrison Ave in Lakeview. I was meaning "New Orleans Snowballs" just as a generic meaning to explain them.

This was our first time going to Nick's since it is under new management since after Katrina and it wasn't the best.

Sal's is great, but my all-time favorite is Plum Street Snowballs. We tried Hanson's for the first time recently and were surprised we didn't like it more.

Thanks for reading!

Sara

Mike Golch said...

Great photos!

..........................FP said...

that's a great way of minimizing on tour costs -- look around in one's town.

AR said...

thanks for sharing. might have to check it out when we go to nola in nov. oh, I know of a little coffee shop I want to try when we come in nov. too.