8/15/2008

Nastia Liukin - All Hail, the Red, White... and Pink?

The first gymnastics I ever remember watching was 1984 when Mary Lou Retton charmed the entire world. I was eight years old. I would stand in the middle of my father's living room, do a somersault and stand up with my hands high and my chest out turning around for all the imaginary judges scoring me. To this day, I remember exactly what her uniform looked like. Why do I remember what her uniform looked like, you ask? Oh, maybe because it represented our country and was, yes, red, white, and blue!

Now, it was bad enough when I saw the American women in red and silver leotards for the team competition, but then for Nastia Liukin to walk out last night in a hot pink Barbie outfit! What the hell is that? While I understand this was the individual all-arounds, I still think you should represent the United States and hot pink just doesn't scream American Pride to me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny. I haven't been watching the Olympics but I saw a picture of the three medal winners and I thought she was from another country.

No, certainly doesn't scream, USA.

Mike Golch said...

Sara,Sometimes you gotta wonder where their heads are at.Planet Fashion maybe? or Planet Fool? Or do they need a John Deere Tractor.
I do not know. as I have seen some where,there are days that you just got to say Whisky(I know I spelled this on wrong) Tango Foxtrot.
I hope that you are haveing a great day today!
Hugs and God's Blessings and love to you and your family.Mike G. said that! (it's an A.A.thing of mine)

Bridget said...

my sister and I used to pretend we were in the Olympics too...For the winter ones, you would find us figuring skating around the dining room table! That hat James was wearing was from Target, it was given to me at my baby shower, so it was a while ago. I am still pretty sure they have ones like that there... hey are probably on sale at this point too!!

Anonymous said...

I never thought about the color of their outfits being inappropriate. It's too bad they didn't use their brains on their choices.

That Nora Girl said...

I just wanted to say... after Mary Lou Retton charmed the entire world, she charmed my household too. I was the proud owner and wearer of a leotard exactly like what was worn at the Olympics, and it even had her signature printed into it. Man, I was styling and it was so fun to pretend I was an Olympian!