8/10/2008

Another Saturday Night...

Thanks to Vicki, the Babysitter, Big Monkey and I had a wonderful and rare Saturday night date. We started out at Baru Tapas on Magazine Street. Now the Monkeys love them some tapas and Baru is no exception, but compared to our other favorite tapas bar, Cafe Granada on Carrollton, I think Baru fell a bit short. While Baru is a bit hipper, Granada wins on taste. The empanadas and tequila cheese flambe at Granada really hit the spot. In comparison, Baru's empanadas were overcooked and the plantains tasteless. But the service was great, and we would go back for the corn and potato stick dish (sorry, can't remember the name) in a flash.
After Baru, we decided to hit the Quarter (French Quarter to you non-locals). We luckily stumbled upon Dirty Linen Night on Royal Street (the evil stepsister of White Linen Night on Julia Street). We had a great time people-watching and checking out a few galleries. We then made our way to Cafe Du Monde and I finally got the beignets I have been craving since LSUMelanie's post last weekend. Luckily, for Big Monkey, we were served by Oksana, the hot Russian eighteen year old exchange student. Now, why is it that Big Monkey, who usually hates taking pics, was more than happy to pose for this one!
After getting some takeout beignets for Vicki, we headed home. It was a really great night!

9 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Sara,this makes me want to come down to visit. I really like the trolly that you have in your header.

Sara said...

Thanks so much, Mike, but people here call it a streetcar! But, I'll let you slide just this once. Just kidding!

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting http://NewOrleansDailyPhoto.blogspot.com

I think that Cafe Du Monde was put on this world just to keep me from losing weight.

AR said...

oh, looks like you and hubs had a great time! might have to go there next time we go see B's sis. yummy!!

HawgWyld said...

Well, I'm jealous. Haven't had a date with my wife in a long, long time.

Glad y'all had a great time!

Visit The Natural State Hawg!

Unknown said...

Makes me want some too.... Yum

Bridgette said...

Hi! I'm a New Orleans Mom Blogger, too! Love your site!

LSU Melanie said...

How fun!!! that iced coffee and beignets look sooo good:)

Elle said...

Oh, now I'm homesick again - it usually doesn't happen in the middle of summer.