8/31/2008

Settling in

Well, in South Louisiana, the best bragging rights you can have is to have completed your evacuation route in stellar time and I win! We made it to Baton Rouge (70 mile trip) in under 2 hours. In a world where it can often take eight hours in evacuation traffic, I can definitely call that great time.

This is what we did for those looking for an alternate route... Normal route would be to take I-10 W all the way here and it usually takes 1 hour. I took Clearview over the Huey P Long Bridge, Hwy 90 to 3127, then took Hwy 70 over the Sunshine Bridge back to I-10 W and sailed into our home away from home in record time.

Since we are not sure how long we will be here, I took the time to unpack today and tomorrow I am going to take a walk/jog around the LSU lakes with my girlfriend who has a 16 month old. Guess we will start to make a life here for now because who knows when we will see our beloved NOLA again.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck and stay safe! I'm glad you made it out of there! Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Nice to know you made it out in time. Keep safe and good luck!

Sjeltur said...

Am from Holland - and following "all the news" = good luck and keep it safe !!

Later Gator said...

Glad ya'll made it safely and quickly into BR.

Anonymous said...

Man, I feel for you guys. So sorry you have to go through this again.

Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed for everyone in the area. This one seems kind of scary. We even had rain from it last night and it's pretty far away.

Stay safe!

Dori said...

I'm so glad you made it to Baton Rouge in time. Stay safe and I will be checking back to see how you are. You and your family, and all of those in New Orleans and the surrounding areas are in my prayers.

Bridget said...

Good luck to you! So glad you made it there in record timing :)I was thinking about you this past week whenever I would see things on the news about the storm!

Unknown said...

Stay safe and I am glad you are safely evacuated.

Mike Golch said...

Sara,you and the Family as well as all of NOLA residents that gustaf will be kinder than that nasty"lady' of 3 years was.

Unknown said...

Glad you made it out ok! You are in my thoughts.

Check out my blog as I have something for you: http://bizymomof2girls.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-first-bloggy-award.html

HawgWyld said...

Glad to hear you're out of harm's way. Here in Arkansas, churches are gearing up for potential victims of that hurricane. We were caught with a lot of evacuees and weren't that prepared back in 2005.

Hopefully, we'll be ready this time around.

Good luck and stay safe!

Visit The Natural State Hawg!

Anonymous said...

God bless you.
Stay safe.

dina said...

i totally bookmarked your blog in an effort to keep in better touch with peeps. i hope you and the boys get to return to nola soon. as for suggestions for BM's bday, i have tons of apple swag i could send him. and you are always welcome to my employee discount! i am gonna send you a more personal email. take care-- you are in my thoughts. xoxo dina

Sara said...

Thanks to all of you for your well wishes. Might not get time or internet access to post comments on your blogs but will try to keep you updated.

HawgWyld said...

Sara:

Please do keep us updated.

Again, good luck!

Visit The Natural State Hawg!